Churches of Herbert
The hymn "Faith of Our Fathers" speaks eloquently of the faith with which our ancestors built their church. From early beginnings the church has been important in the lives of the people. By nourishing that faith the church has been a support down through the ages. Worship may vary within the various religions, but each contributes to the well being of a community.
319 Thompson Street
Box 487, Herbert, SK S0H 2A0
Phone: (306) 784-3407
Pastor: Josh Erb
Updated December 8, 2005
The Crossroads Church acquired the United Church building on Thompson Street and began holding services at that location in the fall of 2004.
Grace Community Church
Updated December 8, 2005
The Mennonite Brethren church had its official beginning in 1905. Until approximately 1940, the services were almost exclusively conducted in the German language. At that time since the children and young people were no longer well versed in German, the church underwent a change, and English gradually became the predominant language.
The present building was built in 1957. An education wing was added in 1966. The facilities are used to house worship services, fellowship functions, and a number of Christian Education activities. Several of these programs (most notably the Youth Group, Vacation Bible School, Pioneer Girls and Stockades) are joint ventures that involve several of the other churches in town. On occasion, the broad variety of activities has stretched the capacities to the maximum, and for that reason the church has periodically discussed the feasibility of a further building project.
Over the years, the church has maintained a strong commitment to missions, and has sent a number of people overseas. This has included people such as: Henry & Helen Dueck, Richard & Eva Neufeld, Robert & Lois Neufeld, Dianne Voth and Norma Zacharias.
The church is grateful for its heritage, and looks forward to continuing its ministry in the community under God's guidance.
Living Faith Fellowship Church
303 Dennis Street
Box 56, Herbert, SK S0H 2A0
Phone: (306) 784-2505
Updated March 01, 2013
Living Faith Fellowship was founded in 1905 as "Herbert Mennonite Church" by Franz Sawatzky. The first building was built in 1908 under the direction of Mr. Ed. Evanson of Herbert.
In 1960, the congregation chose it's first full-time pastor, John C. Siemens. Eight years later, in 1968, the construction of a new sanctuary began next to the old church. On May 18th, 1969 the first service was held in the new building.
In 1990-91 the church left the General Conference and became an independant church. The church remained independant until 2007. On April 29th they joined the Associated Gospel Churches, and changed the name of the church to "Living Faith Fellowship".
St. Paul Lutheran
528 Thompson Street
Box 413, Herbert, SK S0H 2A0
Phone: (306) 784-2578
Updated December 8, 2005
St. Paul Lutheran Church was organized in 1916. The first ten years of church services were held in congregational homes. In 1926, a school house was purchased from the Herbert School Board. It was situated on the southeast corner of the schoolyard. It was moved to a new location on Thompson Street beside where the present United Church stands. The first church was later sold to the United Church and the New Jerusalem Church on Shaw Street was purchased in 1947. The United Church later sold the church and it was moved to the corner of Brownlee and Railway Ave. In 1963, Highland Lutheran Church, from north of Herbert, closed and and the congregation from there joined St. Paul. A new parsonage was erected in 1965 using lumber that could be salvaged from the dismantling of the Highland Church. In August of 1966 St. Paul held a celebration marking the 50th year of operation. It was decided in 1974 that a larger church was needed to serve the needs of the congregation. A church in LaPorte, SK. was purchased and moved to Herbert to the corner of Connaught and Thompson. In 1979, a monument was erected at the Highland Cemetery to commemorate the Highland Church. St. Paul is part of the Rush Lake Parish which also includes Peace Lutheran of the Prairie View district. St. Paul church of Morse was also a part of the Parish but they closed their doors in 1990 and many of the members joined the church in Herbert. On July 27, 1991 our church celebrated its 75th anniversary.
In the fall of 2004, St Paul's Lutheran Church began sharing their place of worship with the United Church.
Different families, pastors, and faces have worshipped in the church since 1916, but some things never change. A strong commitment to God and to do His will. May we, and for that matter, all of the churches of Herbert continue to grow and thrive.
In closing let us remember Psalm 145, Verse 13 "Your Kingdom is an everlasting Kingdom; Your dominion endures throughout all generations."
Herbert Community Youth Ministry
Brent Hackney 784-7228
The CUBE Youth Group for kids ages 12 & up.
Kid's Bible Club (Living Faith Fellowship Church)
Marilyn Vellacott 784-3118
Operational January to March & September to November; Tuesdays from 3:20 pm to 5 pm;
Children from 5 to 11 years old are welcome to attend.